Meaning of wool
Pronunciation: (wool), [key]
- the fine, soft, curly hair that forms the fleece of sheep and certain other animals, characterized by minute, overlapping surface scales that give it its felting property.
- fabrics and garments of such wool.
- yarn made of such wool.
- any of various substances used commercially as substitutes for the wool of sheep or other animals.
- any of certain vegetable fibers, as cotton or flax, used as wool, esp. after preparation by special process
- any finely fibrous or filamentous matter suggestive of the wool of sheep: glass wool; steel wool.
- any coating of short, fine hairs or hairlike processes, as on a caterpillar or a plant; pubescence.
- the human hair, esp. when short, thick, and crisp.
- genuine; excellent; sincere: He was a real friend, all wool and a yard wide.
- inveterate; confirmed: a dyed in the wool sinner.
- to deceive or delude someone: The boy thought that by hiding the broken dish he could pull the wool over his mother's eyes.
- wool (Thesaurus)