Meaning of windage
Pronunciation: (win'dij), [key]
- the influence of the wind in deflecting a missile.
- the amount of such deflection.
- the degree to which a gunsight must be adjusted to correct for windage.
- a difference between the diameter of a projectile and that of the gun bore, for the escape of gas and the prevention of friction.
- that portion of a vessel's surface upon which the wind acts.
- friction between a rotor and the air within its casing, as in an electric generator.
- the resisting influence of air against the rotating armature of a dynamo, creating a power loss.
- windage (Thesaurus)