Meaning of wild card
- a card having its value decided by the wishes of the players.
- a determining or important person or thing whose qualities are unknown, indeterminate, or unpredictable: In a sailboat race the weather is the wild card.
- a player, usually without ranking, who is allowed to enter a tournament at the discretion of the tournament committee after regularly qualifying competitors have been selected.
Pronunciation: (wīld'kärd"), [key]
- of, constituting, or including a wild card.
- of, being, or including an unpredictable or unproven element, person, item, etc.
- of, being, or including an unseeded or unproven participant or team, as a team in a championship tournament that has not placed first in its league or area.
- wild card (Thesaurus)