Meaning of western
Pronunciation: (wes'turn), [key]
- lying toward or situated in the west: our company's western office.
- directed or proceeding toward the west: a western migration.
- coming or originating from the west, as a wind.
- (often cap.) of, pertaining to, living in, or characteristic of the West, esp. the western U.S.: a Western ranch.
- (usually cap.) Occidental: to adopt Western dress.
- (usually cap.) of or pertaining to the non-Communist countries of Europe and the Americas: Western trade agreements.
- (cap.) of or pertaining to the Western Church.
- (often cap.) a story, movie, or radio or television play about the U.S. West of the 19th century.
- a person or thing from a western region or country.
- western (Thesaurus)