Meaning of weekend
Pronunciation: (wēk'end", -end'), [key]
- the end of a week, esp. the period of time between Friday evening and Monday morning: We spent the weekend at Virginia Beach.
- this period as extended by one or more holidays, days off, or the like, that immediately precede or follow: We're getting a three-day weekend at Christmas.
- any two-day period taken or given regularly as a weekly rest period from one's work: I have to work at the hospital on Saturdays and Sundays, so I take my weekends on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- of, for, or on a weekend: a weekend pass; a weekend excursion.
- to pass the weekend, as at a place: They weekended at their country place.
- weekend (Thesaurus)