wafer: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (wā'fur), [key]
- a thin, crisp cake or biscuit, often sweetened and flavored.
- a thin disk of unleavened bread, used in the Eucharist, as in the Roman Catholic Church.
- a thin disk of dried paste, gelatin, adhesive paper, or the like, used for sealing letters, attaching papers, etc.
- a thin sheet of dry paste or the like, used to enclose a powder to be swallowed.
- any small, thin disk, as a washer or piece of insulation.
- a thin slice of semiconductor used as a base material on which single transistors or integrated-circuit components are formed.
- to seal, close, or attach by means of a wafer or wafers: to wafer a letter.
- wafer (Thesaurus)