volute: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vu-lt'), [key]
- a spiral or twisted formation or object.
- a spiral ornament, found esp. in the capitals of the Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite orders.
- a horizontal scrolled termination to the handrail of a stair.
- a turn or whorl of a spiral shell.
- any of various tropical marine gastropods of the family Volutidae, many species of which have shells prized for their coloration.
- the spiral casing surrounding the impeller of a volute pump.
- having a volute or rolled-up form.
- spirally shaped or having a part so shaped.
- moving in a circular way, esp. if combined with a lateral motion.
- volute (Thesaurus)