vocalize: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vō'ku-līz"), [key]
— v., -ized, -iz•ing.
- to make vocal; utter; articulate; sing.
- to endow with a voice; cause to utter.
- to voice.
- to change into a vowel (contrasted with consonantalize).
- (of Hebrew, Arabic, and other writing systems that do not usually indicate vowels) to furnish with vowels or vowel points.
- to use the voice, as in speech or song.
- to sing without uttering words, esp. to warm up the voice, practice vowel sounds, etc., before a performance.
- to sing scales, arpeggios, trills, or the like, usually to a solmization syllable or a vowel sound.
- to become changed into a vowel.
- vocalize (Thesaurus)