violate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vī'u-lāt"), [key]
— -lat•ed, -lat•ing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- to break, infringe, or transgress (a law, rule, agreement, promise, instructions, etc.).
- to break in upon or disturb rudely; interfere thoughtlessly with: to violate his privacy.
- to break through or pass by force or without right: to violate a frontier.
- to treat irreverently or disrespectfully; desecrate; profane: violate a human right.
- to molest sexually, esp. to rape.