veneer: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vu-nēr'), [key]
- a thin layer of wood or other material for facing or inlaying wood.
- any of the thin layers of wood glued together to form plywood.
- a facing of a certain material applied to a different one or to a type of construction not ordinarily associated with it, as a facing of brick applied to a frame house.
- a superficially valuable or pleasing appearance: a cruel person with a veneer of kindliness.
- to overlay or face (wood) with thin sheets of some material, as a fine wood, ivory, or tortoise shell.
- to face or cover (an object) with any material that is more desirable as a surface material than the basic material of the object; revet.
- to cement (layers of wood veneer) to form plywood.
- to give a superficially valuable or pleasing appearance to.
- veneer (Thesaurus)