Meaning of vegetable
Pronunciation: (vej'tu-bul, vej'i-tu-), [key]
- any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.
- the edible part of such a plant, as the tuber of the potato.
- any member of the vegetable kingdom; plant.
- a person who is so severely impaired mentally or physically as to be largely incapable of conscious responses or activity.
- a dull, spiritless, and uninteresting person.
- of, consisting of, or made from edible vegetables: a vegetable diet.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of plants: the vegetable kingdom.
- derived from plants: vegetable fiber; vegetable oils.
- consisting of, comprising, or containing the substance or remains of plants: vegetable matter; a vegetable organism.
- of the nature of or resembling a plant: the vegetable forms of Art Nouveau ornament.
- inactive; inert; dull; uneventful: a vegetable existence.
- vegetable (Thesaurus)