variation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vâr"ē-ā'shun), [key]
- the act, process, or accident of varying in condition, character, or degree: Prices are subject to variation.
- an instance of this: There is a variation in the quality of fabrics in this shipment.
- amount, rate, extent, or degree of change: a temperature variation of 40° in a particular climate.
- a different form of something; variant.
- the transformation of a melody or theme with changes or elaborations in harmony, rhythm, and melody.
- a varied form of a melody or theme, esp. one of a series of such forms developing the capacities of the subject.
- a solo dance, esp. one forming a section of a pas de deux.
- any deviation from the mean orbit of a heavenly body, esp. of a planetary or satellite orbit.
- Also calledthe angle between the geographic and the magnetic meridian at a given point, expressed in plus degrees east or minus degrees west of true north. Cf.(def. 4).
- a difference or deviation in structure or character from others of the same species or group.
- variation (Thesaurus)