Meaning of variant
Pronunciation: (vâr'ē-unt), [key]
- tending to change or alter; exhibiting variety or diversity; varying: variant shades of color.
- not agreeing or conforming; differing, esp. from something of the same general kind.
- not definitive, as a version of part of a text; different; alternative: a variant reading.
- not universally accepted.
- a person or thing that varies.
- a different spelling, pronunciation, or form of the same word: “Vehemency” is a variant of “vehemence.”
- variant (Thesaurus)