variance: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vâr'ē-uns), [key]
- the state, quality, or fact of being variable, divergent, different, or anomalous.
- an instance of varying; difference; discrepancy.
- Also calledthe square of the standard deviation.
- the number of degrees of freedom of a system.
- a difference or discrepancy, as between two statements or documents in law that should agree.
- a departure from the cause of action originally stated in the complaint.
- an official permit to do something normally forbidden by regulations, esp. by building in a way or for a purpose normally forbidden by a zoning law or a building code.
- a disagreement, dispute, or quarrel.
- at variance with one's superiors.
- (of things) in a state of difference or disagreement.
- (of persons) in a state of controversy or dissension:at variance with one's superiors.
- variance (Thesaurus)