Meaning of variable
Pronunciation: (vâr'ē-u-bul), [key]
- apt or liable to vary or change; changeable: variable weather; variable moods.
- capable of being varied or changed; alterable: a variable time limit for completion of a book.
- inconstant; fickle: a variable lover.
- having much variation or diversity.
- deviating from the usual type, as a species or a specific character.
- (of a star) changing in brightness.
- (of wind) tending to change in direction.
- having the nature or characteristics of a variable.
- something that may or does vary; a variable feature or factor.
- a quantity or function that may assume any given value or set of values.
- a symbol that represents this.
- (in the functional calculus) a symbol for an unspecified member of a class of things or statements. Cf.
- a shifting wind, esp. as distinguished from a trade wind.
- variables,doldrums (def. 2a).
- variable (Thesaurus)