Meaning of valve
Pronunciation: (valv), [key]
— n., v., valved, valv•ing.
- any device for halting or controlling the flow of a liquid, gas, or other material through a passage, pipe, inlet, outlet, etc.
- a hinged lid or other movable part that closes or modifies the passage in such a device.
- a membranous fold or other structure that controls the flow of a fluid, as one that permits blood to flow in one direction only.
- (in musical wind instruments of the trumpet class) a device for changing the length of the air column to alter the pitch of a tone.
- one of the two or more separable pieces composing certain shells.
- either half of the silicified shell of a diatom.
- one of the segments into which a capsule dehisces.
- a flap or lidlike part of certain anthers.
- See(def. 1).
- one of the leaves of a double or folding door.
- to provide with a means of controlling the flow of liquid, gas, etc., by inserting a valve.
- valve (Thesaurus)