value: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (val'y), [key]
— n., v., -ued, -u•ing.
- relative worth, merit, or importance: the value of a college education; the value of a queen in chess.
- monetary or material worth, as in commerce or trade: This piece of land has greatly increased in value.
- the worth of something in terms of the amount of other things for which it can be exchanged or in terms of some medium of exchange.
- equivalent worth or return in money, material, services, etc.: to give value for value received.
- estimated or assigned worth; valuation: a painting with a current value of $500,000.
- denomination, as of a monetary issue or a postage stamp.
- the value of an angle; the value of
- magnitude; quantity; number represented by a figure, symbol, or the like:the value of an angle; the value ofx; the value of a sum.
- a point in the range of a function; a point in the range corresponding to a given point in the domain of a function:The value of x2 at 2 is 4.
- import or meaning; force; significance: the value of a word.
- liking or affection; favorable regard.
- the ideals, customs, institutions, etc., of a society toward which the people of the group have an affective regard. These values may be positive, as cleanliness, freedom, or education, or negative, as cruelty, crime, or blasphemy.
- any object or quality desirable as a means or as an end in itself.
- degree of lightness or darkness in a color.
- the relation of light and shade in a painting, drawing, or the like.
- the relative length or duration of a tone signified by a note.
- the marketable portions of an orebody.
- the phonetic equivalent of a letter, as the sound of a in hat, sang, etc.
- to calculate or reckon the monetary value of; give a specified material or financial value to; assess; appraise: to value their assets.
- to consider with respect to worth, excellence, usefulness, or importance.
- to regard or esteem highly: He values her friendship.
- value (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.