valence: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vā'luns), [key]
- the quality that determines the number of atoms or groups with which any single atom or group will unite chemically.
- the relative combining capacity of an atom or group compared with that of the standard hydrogen atom. The chloride ion, Cl–, with a valence of one, has the capacity to unite with one atom of hydrogen or its equivalent, as in HCl or NaCl.
- the number of determinants per molecule of antigen.
- the capacity of one person or thing to react with or affect another in some special way, as by attraction or the facilitation of a function or activity.
Pronunciation: (va-läns'), [key]
- a city in and the capital of Drôme, in SE France. 70,307.
- valence (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.