Meaning of underwrite
Pronunciation: (un"dur-rīt', un'dur-rīt"), [key]
— v., -wrote, -writ•ten, -writ•ing.
- to write under or at the foot of, esp. under other written matter.
- to sign one's name, as to a document.
- to show agreement with or to support by or as if by signing one's name to, as a statement or decision.
- to bind oneself to contribute a sum of money to (an undertaking): Wealthy music lovers underwrote the experimental concerts.
- to guarantee the sale of (a security issue to be offered to the public for subscription).
- to write one's name at the end of (a policy), thereby becoming liable in case of certain losses specified in the policy.
- to insure.
- to assume liability to the extent of (a specified sum) by way of insurance.
- to select or rate (risks) for insurance.
- to underwrite something.
- to carry on the business of an underwriter.
- underwrite (Thesaurus)