Meaning of tunnel
Pronunciation: (tun'l), [key]
— n., v., -neled, -nel•ing -nelled, -nel•ling.
- an underground passage.
- a passageway, as for trains or automobiles, through or under an obstruction, as a city, mountain, river, harbor, or the like.
- an approximately horizontal gallery or corridor in a mine.
- the burrow of an animal.
- a funnel.
- to construct a passageway through or under: to tunnel a mountain.
- to make or excavate (a tunnel or underground passage): to tunnel a passage under a river.
- to move or proceed by or as if by boring a tunnel: The river tunneled its way through the mountain.
- to pierce or hollow out, as with tunnels.
- to make a tunnel or tunnels: to tunnel through the Alps.
- tunnel (Thesaurus)