trumpet: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (trum'pit), [key]
- any of a family of brass wind instruments with a powerful, penetrating tone, consisting of a tube commonly curved once or twice around on itself and having a cup-shaped mouthpiece at one end and a flaring bell at the other.
- an organ stop having a tone resembling that of a trumpet.
- a trumpeter.
- something used as or resembling a trumpet, esp. in sound.
- a sound like that of a trumpet.
- the loud shrill cry of an animal, esp. an elephant.
- any of several pitcher plants of the southeastern U.S.
- to blow a trumpet.
- to emit a loud, trumpetlike cry, as an elephant.
- to sound on a trumpet.
- to utter with a sound like that of a trumpet.
- to proclaim loudly or widely.
- trumpet (Thesaurus)