tribe: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (trīb), [key]
- any aggregate of people united by ties of descent from a common ancestor, community of customs and traditions, adherence to the same leaders, etc.
- a local division of an aboriginal people.
- a division of some other people.
- a class or type of animals, plants, articles, or the like.
- a group of animals, esp. cattle, descended through the female line from a common female ancestor.
- a category in the classification of organisms usually between a subfamily and a genus or sometimes between a suborder and a family.
- any group of plants or animals.
- a company, group, or number of persons.
- a class or set of persons, esp. one with strong common traits or interests.
- a large family.
- any one of three divisions of the people representing the Latin, Sabine, and Etruscan settlements.
- any of the later political divisions of the people.
- a phyle.
- tribe (Thesaurus)