transom: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tran'sum), [key]
- a crosspiece separating a door or the like from a window or fanlight above it.
- Also called tran&prim;som light&sec;, transom window. a window above such a crosspiece.
- a crossbar of wood or stone, dividing a window horizontally.
- a window so divided.
- a flat termination to a stern, above the water line.
- framework running athwartships in way of the sternpost of a steel or iron vessel, used as a support for the frames of the counter.
- a metal piece connecting the sidepieces of the tail or the cheeks of a gun carriage.
- transom (Thesaurus)