tramp: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tramp), [key]
- to tread or walk with a firm, heavy, resounding step.
- to tread heavily or trample (usually fol. by on or upon): to tramp on a person's toes.
- to walk steadily; march; trudge.
- to go on a walking excursion or expedition; hike.
- to go about as a vagabond or tramp.
- to make a voyage on a tramp steamer.
- to tramp or walk heavily or steadily through or over.
- to traverse on foot: to tramp the streets.
- to tread or trample underfoot: to tramp grapes.
- to travel over as a tramp.
- to run (a ship) as a tramp steamer.
- the act of tramping.
- a firm, heavy, resounding tread.
- the sound made by such a tread.
- a long, steady walk; trudge.
- a walking excursion or expedition; hike.
- a person who travels on foot from place to place, esp. a vagabond living on occasional jobs or gifts of money or food.
- a sexually promiscuous woman; prostitute.
- a freight vessel that does not run regularly between fixed ports, but takes a cargo wherever shippers desire. Cf. cargo liner.
- a piece of iron affixed to the sole of a shoe.
- tramp (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.