tithe: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tī), [key]
— n., v., tithed, tith•ing.
- Sometimes,the tenth part of agricultural produce or personal income set apart as an offering to God or for works of mercy, or the same amount regarded as an obligation or tax for the support of the church, priesthood, or the like.
- any tax, levy, or the like, esp. of one-tenth.
- a tenth part or any indefinitely small part of anything.
- to give or pay a tithe or tenth of (produce, money, etc.).
- to give or pay tithes on (crops, income, etc.).
- to exact a tithe from (a person, community, parish, etc.).
- to levy a tithe on (crops, income, etc.).
- to give or pay a tithe.
- tithe (Thesaurus)