Meaning of timer
Pronunciation: (tī'mur), [key]
- a person or thing that times.
- a person who measures or records time.
- a device for indicating or measuring elapsed time, as a stopwatch.
- a device for controlling machinery, appliances, or the like, in a specified way at a predetermined time: Please put the roast in the oven and set the timer to cook it for two hours.
- (in an internal-combustion engine) a set of points actuated by a cam, which causes the spark for igniting the charge at the instant required.
- timer (Thesaurus)