Meaning of tertiary
Pronunciation: (tûr'shē-er"ē, tûr'shu-rē), [key]
— adj., n., pl. -ar•ies.
- of the third order, rank, stage, formation, etc.; third.
- noting or containing a carbon atom united to three other carbon atoms.
- formed by replacement of three atoms or groups.
- (cap.)noting or pertaining to the period forming the earlier part of the Cenozoic Era, occurring from 65 million to 2 million years ago, characterized by the development and proliferation of mammals. See table under
- noting or pertaining to a branch, or third order, of certain religious orders that consists of lay members living in communityor living in the world
- (cap.)the Tertiary Period or System.
- a tertial feather.
- (often cap.)a member of a tertiary branch of a religious order.
- tertiary (Thesaurus)