tenure: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ten'yur), [key]
- the holding or possessing of anything: the tenure of an office.
- the holding of property, esp. real property, of a superior in return for services to be rendered.
- the period or term of holding something.
- status granted to an employee, usually after a probationary period, indicating that the position or employment is permanent.
- to give tenure to: After she served three years on probation, the committee tenured her.
- tenure (Thesaurus)