Meaning of tension
Pronunciation: (ten'shun), [key]
- the act of stretching or straining.
- the state of being stretched or strained.
- mental or emotional strain; intense, suppressed suspense, anxiety, or excitement.
- a strained relationship between individuals, groups, nations, etc.
- (not in current use) pressure, esp. of a vapor.
- the longitudinal deformation of an elastic body that results in its elongation.
- the force producing such deformation.
- electromotive force; potential.
- a device for stretching or pulling something.
- a device to hold the proper tension on the material being woven in a loom.
- to subject (a cable, belt, tendon, or the like) to tension, esp. for a specific purpose.
- tension (Thesaurus)