Meaning of temperament
Pronunciation: (tem'pur-u-munt, -pru-munt, -pur-munt), [key]
- the combination of mental, physical, and emotional traits of a person; natural predisposition.
- unusual personal attitude or nature as manifested by peculiarities of feeling, temper, action, etc., often with a disinclination to submit to conventional rules or restraints.
- (old physiology) the combination of the four cardinal humors, the relative proportions of which were supposed to determine physical and mental constitution.
- the tuning of a keyboard instrument, as the piano, organ, or harpsichord, so that the instrument may be played in all keys without further tuning.
- a particular system of doing this.
- an act of tempering or moderating.
- temperament (Thesaurus)