tea: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tē), [key]
- the dried and prepared leaves of a shrub, Camellia sinensis, from which a somewhat bitter, aromatic beverage is prepared by infusion in hot water.
- the shrub itself, extensively cultivated in China, Japan, India, etc., and having fragrant white flowers. Cf.
- the beverage so prepared, served hot or iced.
- any kind of leaves, flowers, etc., so used, or any plant yielding them.
- any of various infusions prepared from the leaves, flowers, etc., of other plants, and used as beverages or medicines.
- any meal, whether a light snack or one consisting of several courses, eaten in the late afternoon or in the evening; any meal other than dinner, eaten after the middle of the afternoon.
- an afternoon reception at which tea is served.
- something suitable, appropriate, or attractive to one: Horror movies and westerns are just not my cup of tea.
- tea (Thesaurus)