tax: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (taks), [key]
- a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.
- a burdensome charge, obligation, duty, or demand.
- (of a government)
- to demand a tax from (a person, business, etc.).
- to demand a tax in consideration of the possession or occurrence of (income, goods, sales, etc.), usually in proportion to the value of money involved.
- to lay a burden on; make serious demands on: to tax one's resources.
- to take to task; censure; reprove; accuse: to tax one with laziness.
- to charge: What did he tax you for that?
- to estimate or determine the amount or value of.
- to levy taxes.
- var. ofbefore a vowel: taxeme.
- tax (Thesaurus)