tan: Meaning and Definition of
— v., n., adj., tanned, tan•ning, tan•ner, tan•nest.
- to convert (a hide) into leather, esp. by soaking or steeping in a bath prepared from tanbark or synthetically.
- to make brown by exposure to ultraviolet rays, as of the sun.
- to thrash; spank.
- to become tanned.
- to beat someone soundly: She threatened to tan our hides if she found us on her property again.
- the brown color imparted to the skin by exposure to the sun or open air.
- yellowish brown; light brown.
- of the color of tan; yellowish-brown.
- used in or relating to tanning processes, materials, etc.
- tangent (def. 5b).
- born 1952, U.S. novelist.
- tax-anticipation note.
— Symbol, Trig.
- arc tangent.
- tan (Thesaurus)