Meaning of syntax
Pronunciation: (sin'taks), [key]
- English syntax.
- the study of the rules for the formation of grammatical sentences in a language.
- the study of the patterns of formation of sentences and phrases from words.
- the rules or patterns so studied:English syntax.
- a presentation of these:a syntax of English.
- an instance of these:the syntax of a sentence.
- that branch of modern logic that studies the various kinds of signs that occur in a system and the possible arrangements of those signs, complete abstraction being made of the meaning of the signs.
- the outcome of such a study when directed upon a specified language.
- a system or orderly arrangement.
- the grammatical rules and structural patterns governing the ordered use of appropriate words and symbols for issuing commands, writing code, etc., in a particular software application or programming language.
- syntax (Thesaurus)