Meaning of suppress
Pronunciation: (su-pres'), [key]
- to put an end to the activities of (a person, body of persons, etc.): to suppress the Communist party.
- to do away with by or as by authority; abolish; stop (a practice, custom, etc.).
- to keep in or repress (a feeling, smile, groan, etc.).
- to withhold from disclosure or publication (truth, evidence, a book, names, etc.).
- to stop or arrest (a flow, hemorrhage, cough, etc.).
- to vanquish or subdue (a revolt, rebellion, etc.); quell; crush.
- to reduce or eliminate (an irregular or undesired oscillation or frequency) in a circuit.
- suppress (Thesaurus)