Meaning of sugar
Pronunciation: (shoog'ur), [key]
- a sweet, crystalline substance, CHO, obtained chiefly from the juice of the sugarcane and the sugar beet, and present in sorghum, maple sap, etc.: used extensively as an ingredient and flavoring of certain foods and as a fermenting agent in the manufacture of certain alcoholic beverages; sucrose. Cf.
- a member of the same class of carbohydrates, as lactose, glucose, or fructose.
- (sometimes cap.) an affectionate or familiar term of address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., esp. by a male to a female).
- a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter S.
- to cover, sprinkle, mix, or sweeten with sugar.
- to make agreeable.
- to form sugar or sugar crystals.
- to make maple sugar.
- (in making maple sugar) to complete the boiling down of the syrup in preparation for granulation.
- sugar (Thesaurus)