Meaning of succeed
Pronunciation: (suk-sēd'), [key]
- to happen or terminate according to desire; turn out successfully; have the desired result: Our efforts succeeded.
- to thrive, prosper, grow, or the like: Grass will not succeed in this dry soil.
- to accomplish what is attempted or intended: We succeeded in our efforts to start the car.
- to attain success in some popularly recognized form, as wealth or standing: The class voted him the one most likely to succeed.
- to follow or replace another by descent, election, appointment, etc. (often fol. by to).
- to come next after something else in an order or series.
- to come after and take the place of, as in an office or estate.
- to come next after in an order or series, or in the course of events; follow.
- succeed (Thesaurus)