Meaning of substitute
Pronunciation: (sub'sti-tt", -tyt"), [key]
— n., v., adj. -tut•ed, -tut•ing,
- a person or thing acting or serving in place of another.
- (formerly) a person who, for payment, served in an army or navy in the place of a conscript.
- a word that functions as a replacement for any member of a class of words or constructions, as do in He doesn't know but I do.
- to put (a person or thing) in the place of another.
- to take the place of; replace.
- to replace (one or more elements or groups in a compound) by other elements or groups.
- to act as a substitute.
- of or pertaining to a substitute or substitutes.
- composed of substitutes.
- substitute (Thesaurus)