Meaning of substantial
Pronunciation: (sub-stan'shul), [key]
- of ample or considerable amount, quantity, size, etc.: a substantial sum of money.
- of a corporeal or material nature; tangible; real.
- of solid character or quality; firm, stout, or strong: a substantial physique.
- basic or essential; fundamental: two stories in substantial agreement.
- wealthy or influential: one of the substantial men of the town.
- of real worth, value, or effect: substantial reasons.
- pertaining to the substance, matter, or material of a thing.
- of or pertaining to the essence of a thing; essential, material, or important.
- being a substance; having independent existence.
- pertaining to or of the nature of substance rather than an accident or attribute.
- something substantial.
- substantial (Thesaurus)