Meaning of subordinate
Pronunciation: (adj., n.su-bôr'dn-itv.su-bôr'dn-āt&sec), [key]
— adj., n., v., -nat•ed, -nat•ing.
- placed in or belonging to a lower order or rank.
- of less importance; secondary.
- subject to or under the authority of a superior.
- subservient or inferior.
- subject; dependent.
- acting as a modifier, as when I finished, which is subordinate to They were glad in They were glad when I finished.
- noting or pertaining to a subordinating conjunction.
- a subordinate person or thing.
- to place in a lower order or rank.
- to make secondary (usually fol. by to): to subordinate work to pleasure.
- to make subject, subservient, or dependent (usually fol. by to): to subordinate passion to reason.
- subordinate (Thesaurus)