strength: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (strengkth, strength, strenth), [key]
- the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor.
- mental power, force, or vigor.
- moral power, firmness, or courage.
- power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc.
- number, as of personnel or ships in a force or body: a regiment with a strength of 3000.
- effective force, potency, or cogency, as of inducements or arguments: the strength of his plea.
- power of resisting force, strain, wear, etc.
- vigor of action, language, feeling, etc.
- the effective or essential properties characteristic of a beverage, chemical, or the like: The alcoholic strength of brandy far exceeds that of wine.
- a particular proportion or concentration of these properties; intensity, as of light, color, sound, flavor, or odor: coffee of normal strength.
- something or someone that gives one strength or is a source of power or encouragement; sustenance: The Bible was her strength and joy.
- power to rise or remain firm in prices: Stocks continued to show strength. The pound declined in strength.
- on the basis of; relying on: He was accepted by the college on the strength of ardent personal recommendations.
- strength (Thesaurus)