Pronunciation: (ster'ē-ō", stēr'-), [key]
— n., pl. adj., v. ster•e•os,
- stereoscopic photography.
- a stereoscopic photograph.
- stereophonic sound reproduction.
- a system or the equipment for reproducing stereophonic sound.
- stereotype (defs. 1, 2).
- pertaining to stereophonic sound, stereoscopic photography, etc.
- stereotype (def. 5).
- a combining form borrowed from Greek, where it meant “solid”, used with reference to hardness, solidity, three-dimensionality in the formation of compound words: stereochemistry; stereogram; stereoscope.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.