Meaning of squirrel
Pronunciation: (skwûr'ul, skwur'- or, esp. Brit., skwir'ul), [key]
— n., pl. v., -rels, -rel, -reled, -rel•ing -relled, -rel•ling.
- any of numerous arboreal, bushy-tailed rodents of the genus Sciurus, of the family Sciuridae.
- any of various other members of the family Sciuridae, as the chipmunks, flying squirrels, and woodchucks.
- the meat of such an animal.
- the pelt or fur of such an animal: a coat trimmed with squirrel.
- to store or hide (money, valuables, etc.), usually for the future (often fol. by away): I've squirreled away a few dollars for an emergency.
- squirrel (Thesaurus)