Meaning of sputter
Pronunciation: (sput'ur), [key]
- to make explosive popping or sizzling sounds.
- to emit particles, sparks, etc., forcibly or explosively, esp. accompanied by sputtering sounds.
- to eject particles of saliva, food, etc., from the mouth in a light spray, as when speaking angrily or excitedly.
- to utter or spit out words or sounds explosively or incoherently, as when angry or flustered.
- to emit (anything) forcibly and in small particles, as if by spitting: The fire sputtered cinders.
- to eject (saliva, food, etc.) in small particles explosively and involuntarily, as in excitement.
- to utter explosively and incoherently.
- the act or sound of sputtering.
- explosive, incoherent utterance.
- matter ejected in sputtering.
- sputter (Thesaurus)