spud: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spud), [key]
— n., v., spud•ded, spud•ding.
- a potato.
- a spadelike instrument, esp. one with a narrow blade, as for digging up or cutting the roots of weeds.
- a chisellike tool for removing bark.
- a pointed leg or stake for staying or supporting dredging or earth-boring machinery.
- a short pipe, as for connecting a water pipe with a meter.
- an instrument having a dull flattened blade for removing substances or foreign bodies from certain parts of the body, as wax from the ear.
- to remove with a spud.
- to set up earth-boring equipment, esp. for drilling an oil well.
- spud (Thesaurus)