sport: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spôrt, spōrt), [key]
- an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
- a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
- diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
- jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
- mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
- an object of derision; laughingstock.
- something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
- something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
- a sportsman.
- a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.
- a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
- a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
- an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
- amorous dalliance.
- of, pertaining to, or used in sports or a particular sport.
- suitable for outdoor or informal wear: sport clothes.
- to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation.
- to play, frolic, or gambol, as a child or an animal.
- to engage in some open-air or athletic pastime or sport.
- to trifle or treat lightly: to sport with another's emotions.
- to mock, scoff, or tease: to sport at suburban life.
- to mutate.
- to pass (time) in amusement or sport.
- to spend or squander lightly or recklessly (often fol. by away).
- to wear, display, carry, etc., esp. with ostentation; show off: to sport a new mink coat.
- to amuse (esp. oneself&hasp;).
- See(def. 5).
- sport (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.