spider: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spī'dur), [key]
- any of numerous predaceous arachnids of the order Araneae, most of which spin webs that serve as nests and as traps for prey.
- (loosely) any of various other arachnids resembling or suggesting these.
- any of various things resembling or suggesting a spider.
- a frying pan, originally one with legs or feet.
- a trivet or tripod, as for supporting a pot or pan on a hearth.
- a part having a number of radiating spokes or arms, usually not connected at their outer ends.
- Also calledcross.(in a universal joint) a crosslike part pivoted between the forked ends of two shafts to transmit motion between them.
- an evil person who entraps or lures others by wiles.
- a device attached to a cultivator, for pulverizing the soil.
- spider (Thesaurus)