sovereign: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sov'rin, sov'ur-in, suv'-), [key]
- a monarch; a king, queen, or other supreme ruler.
- a person who has sovereign power or authority.
- a group or body of persons or a state having sovereign authority.
- a gold coin of the United Kingdom, equal to one pound sterling: went out of circulation after 1914.
- belonging to or characteristic of a sovereign or sovereignty; royal.
- having supreme rank, power, or authority.
- supreme; preeminent; indisputable: a sovereign right.
- greatest in degree; utmost or extreme.
- being above all others in character, importance, excellence, etc.
- efficacious; potent: a sovereign remedy.
- sovereign (Thesaurus)