solitaire: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sol'i-târ"), [key]
- Also calledany of various games played by one person with one or more regular 52-card packs, part or all of which are usually dealt out according to a given pattern, the object being to arrange the cards in a predetermined manner.
- a game played by one person alone, as a game played with marbles or pegs on a board having hollows or holes.
- a precious stone, esp. a diamond, set by itself, as in a ring.
- any of several American thrushes of the genus Myadestes, having short, broad bills and noted for their beautiful songs.
- a large extinct flightless bird of the genus Pezophaps, related to the dodo but with a longer neck, smaller bill, and longer legs, that inhabited the Mascarene Islands.
- solitaire (Thesaurus)