sol: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sōl), [key]
— n. Music.
- the syllable used for the fifth tone of a diatonic scale.
- (in the fixed system of solmization) the tone G.
Pronunciation: (sōl, sol), [key]
- a former coin and money of account of France, the 20th part of a livre and equal to 12 deniers: originally gold, later silver, finally copper, it was discontinued in 1794.
Pronunciation: (sōl, sol Sp. sôl), [key]
— pl. sols, so•les
- a bronze coin and monetary unit of Peru, equal to 100 centavos. Abbr.: S.
- Also calleda former gold coin of Peru.
Pronunciation: (sôl, sol), [key]
— n. Physical Chem.
- a fluid colloidal solution. Cf.
Pronunciation: (sol), [key]
- an ancient Roman god personifying the sun.
- the sun, personified by the Romans as a god.
- a male given name, form of
- a combining form meaning “soil” of the kind specified by the initial element: spodosol.
— Slang. Slang.
- strictly out (of&hasp;) luck.
- shit out (of&hasp;) luck.
- sol (Thesaurus)